Hetalia: Axis Powers - Taiwan

Popular Post

Posted by : AnnieAKiwi Sunday, September 7, 2014

Photo credit to Wikimedia Commons.

During my first three days in my field experience, I observed how my CT handles the classroom. Although my CT only allows one girl and boy to use the restroom at a time, the students tend to use the restroom often. She does make it clear that they cannot use the restroom when she is instructing the class. In my opinion, I feel like the students aren't learning properly by constantly using the restroom.
The article mentions that in order to engage children in learning and sharing their thoughts and feelings, “they we must work to create classroom communities where students know that they are needed, valued members of the group” (Weinstein, 2011). Students want to be heard and acknowledged. I have observed other classrooms before and most of them begin with a morning meeting. What is different about this classroom is that my CT doesn’t start with a morning meeting at all. She does greet them in the morning, but doesn’t start them off with a short, fun activity. The routine that I have observed is that they enter the classroom, eat their breakfast, use the restroom, and dive straight into assignments. I have noticed that the students are not engaged in what they are learning. They either play with their pencils, use the restroom, or talk to their neighbors. There are two students that don’t get along well and tell on each other. It demonstrates to me that my CT hasn’t tried to create a classroom community and is more focused on the material.
“You can also welcome students by standing at the classroom door and greeting them at the beginning of the day” (Weinstein, 2011). I was able to observe this in a classroom and it was a very effective way of getting students’ attention. The teacher stood at the door, greeted them, and asked about their days. The students were delighted when the teacher acknowledged them. They were energized, motivated, and ready to start the day. This teacher was able to establish a classroom community and based on my observations, the students respected each other and the teacher.
On my first day in the first grade classroom, the students were curious as to who I was and why I was there. I was able to communicate with almost all of them. Some of them didn’t open up to me. The rest of them were already sharing with me what they did, dreams, and what they were going to do when they got home. When I was ready to leave, almost all of them came to hug me. I have not established expectations as a classroom leader, but from my observations, I think the students view me as a friend and an assistant to the teacher. According to the article, “as a new teacher, it’s probably wise to find a happy medium between these two extremes and share limited information” (Weinstein, 2011). I am a very open person so students tend to see me more as a friend than an instructor. Overall, not only does a teacher have to display that they care about the student, but enforce clear expectations without appearing as a dictator.


Resources:

Weinstein. (2011). Building Respectful, Caring Relationships. Retrieved September 7, 2014, from file:///C:/Users/Annie/Downloads/Weinstein Ch. 3.pdf

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © Ana's Blog - Date A Live - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -