Hetalia: Axis Powers - Taiwan

Popular Post

Posted by : AnnieAKiwi Monday, October 6, 2014

            I began my week by doing morning meeting and having everyone introduce themselves to the new kid in class. There was one day where the students did not follow my instructions. They talked among themselves and they would not be quiet when I told them to. My CT had to interfere and straighten them up. She advised me to set guidelines and to use my teacher voice even if it hurt their feelings. The next day I was a bit firmer and they followed my instructions without any misbehavior.
            On Monday, I read When Autumn Falls to the class. I called on each table to join me on the carpet. I began by reading the title and asking them the definition of autumn. After a student answered that autumn was fall, I asked them between what months it occurred. I began to read the story and stopped at the page that mentioned the word temperature. I decided to stop here and ask them what temperature was because it was a word that they learned in science last week. They were able to tell me that temperature measured whether it was hot or cold outside. I resumed with the reading and made another stop because my students did not know what bobbing was, which I explained that it was a competition of getting the apple by the mouth. The next stop I made was when the book mentioned Jack-O-Lanterns. I asked the class whether they were going to carve pumpkins to make Jack-O-Lanterns, they were able to make connections to the text. I learned by watching my group’s read alouds that I need to establish an attention getter. The attention getter will help me by redirecting their attention back to me after they share stuff. There was one part in the story that talked about rain and I imitated the sound and hand gesture for rain. My students repeated my action. After I finished the read aloud, I asked what they learned about the book. I gave everyone an opportunity to share once about what they learned.

Photo credit to Ana Siu.

            In class, there is one particular male student that I’m concerned about due to behavior. He does not follow directions most of the times and tends to act like a kindergartner. I noticed that he works when you actually sit down with him and take the time to work with him. This student is still in the punishment-obedience stage of Piaget’s moral development. He knows that the punishment for disobeying is moving his star down, but it seems that he does not really mind too much.

Resources:


Levin, J., & Nolan, J. (2014). Principles of Classroom Management (Seventh ed.). Pennsylvania: Pearson Education.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © Ana's Blog - Date A Live - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -