Hetalia: Axis Powers - Taiwan

Popular Post

Posted by : AnnieAKiwi Monday, October 20, 2014

In my opinion, my CT’s authority base is reward/coercive, which is based on “behavioral notions of learning, foster teacher control over student behavior, and are governed by some principles of application” (Levin, 2014). Based on my observations, one of the rewards my CT utilizes is giving out warm fuzzies when students are on time, quiet, on task, and follow directions. Warm fuzzies are small and big fuzzy balls that can be purchased in the arts and crafts section of any store. She has set up specific guidelines of how she distributes the fuzzies to students. She also utilizes the fuzzies as a way of “paying” her for new materials such as erasers. For example, I have a few students that loose or break their eraser tops and thus, they give me one warm fuzzy for a new eraser top. My CT has guidelines for the warm fuzzies such as, they can trade in six small fuzzies for one big fuzzy that can be used for the treasure box. If a student is off task and does not follow directions then she tells them to “pay” her a warm fuzzy, which students dislike.

Photo credit to Steven Depolo on Flickr.

Another reward my CT gives students is play time outside on Fridays only if they have completed their homework for the week. Every Friday we have lunch outside, only if it’s not wet. Students are expected to complete their weekly homework and turn their folder in on Fridays. I check to see how many assignments the student has finished and I jot it down by their name on the assignment sheet. Once the students finish their lunch, my CT checks to see whether they earned to play or not. Those who have not completed their homework sits down without getting to play. Most of them have gotten into the habit of finishing their homework because they know they will get have free time. I had one girl who sat next to me and I asked her why she wasn’t playing with the others. She responded with “I didn’t do my homework because I was playing with my friend.” My CT has accomplished to “be consistent in assigning and withholding rewards and punishments,” the student has “perceived rewards or punishments,” and the students see the “connection between their behavior and the reward or punishment” (Levin, 2014).
The authority base that I want to accomplish is referent. Referent authority is when “students behave as the teacher wishes because they enjoy a positive relationship with the teacher and like the teacher as person” (Levin, 2014). By using this authority, it enables me to learn about each of my student’s background and family background. I will be able to develop a positive relationship with each of them. I know this means that I am not the student’s friend because then I would be “dependent on students to fulfill his personal needs” (Levin, 2014). My goal as a teacher is to create a friendly and positive climate so that students respect me and their peers. I don’t want my student’s to behave because they will receive an award or not. I want them to behave because “it is of their best interest” (Levin, 2014).  The students will view me not only as a teacher, but as a person and will collaborate with me. I want to adopt collaborative theories because the primary goal is that students are able to control their behavior when they become mature adults. This theory enables students to get engages with learning activities and making choices to some degree.

Reference:

Levin, J., & Nolan, J. (2014). Principles of Classroom Management (Seventh ed.). Pennsylvania: Pearson Education.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © Ana's Blog - Date A Live - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -