Hetalia: Axis Powers - Taiwan

Popular Post

Posted by : AnnieAKiwi Monday, October 13, 2014

            This week I began with morning meeting. I have been setting guidelines and they have been following my instructions properly. My first greeting involved having the students turn to each other and saying “Good Morning (insert name).” After, I had them share what they did over the weekend. They all seemed excited to be sharing what they planned on doing. I did the popcorn greeting another morning. I had them all sit down in a circle. This greeting involved each student to jump up and say their names. It gave me an opportunity where the students introduced themselves to the new student in the classroom.
            During centers, I work with a small group on their sight words or the words of the week. I lined up the students for the first time and they followed my instructions. The next day, one student asked whether I could line them up again. My CT let me in charge of lining them up now and walking them to either lunch or specials.
For Emergent Literature, I pulled the same three students that I gave the ERAS to and administered a spelling inventory to help me determine at what spelling stage they are in. I was able to identify two students to be at the early stage of within word pattern. I will be using an activity specifically for this stage that the book provides. The activity is called the Racetrack Game, which was developed by Darrell Morris. The purpose of this activity is for vowel pattern. The materials I will be using is one file folder, construction paper, scissors, glue, tape, and little toy cars or other similar items. The file folder will be used to create an oval racetrack on it. I will then write the spelling words on each square and draw two stars. After, I will create a collection of around 50 cards that share the same patterns. Using some construction paper, I will craft a number spinner, which will be used to move players around the track. When starting the game, each player will receive six cards and the rest will become the deck. The player will spin the spinner and read the word that they land on. They will then look for words in their hands that have the same pattern. If they land on one of the stars, then they get to discard odd words, such as give, or choose their own pattern. The winner is whoever has placed down the most cards and the game ends when there are no more cards to play.

Photo credit to Words Their Way.

According to Managing Diverse Classrooms, “children from collectivistic families are socialized with values that emphasize working together interdependently rather than working alone independently” (Rothstein-Fisch, 2008). I have noticed this in my classroom with my ELLs. One of my ELL students that only speaks Spanish went to help another ELL that speaks English with finding a page number. This showed me that my ELL comes from a collectivistic family in my opinion. His family moved here from Puerto Rico. He tends to help others and likes to receive help rather than work alone.

Resources:
Bear, D., Invernizzi, M., Templeton, S., & Johnston, F. (2011). Words Their Way (Fifth ed.). Prentice Hall.

Rothstein-Fisch, C., & Trumbull, E. (2008). Managing Diverse Classrooms. MA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD).

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © Ana's Blog - Date A Live - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -